Sunday 30 September 2012

Assignment (D1) Two

In this still life drawing I have chosen to use coloured pencils as personally they push me towards a more controlled/ tighter end result, a better observed and therefore more representational piece of work. That said as part of the preparation for the final drawing, I used other medium (Ink, oil pastel and charcoal) and a looser approach to work out a composition I was happy with.

The still life includes some pears and a purple cabbage and two bottles, the contrasting man-made object as suggested in the assignment brief. Felt the light coloured Williams pears would contrast well with the dark leaves of the cabbage.

I have left the bottles as recognisable forms roughly sketched in pencil, with a straw in each bottle to help link the bottles to the rest of the drawing which is in colour. I think the unresolved nature of the bottles helps to emphasise that the main subjects in the drawing are the pears and cabbage and adds, in my opinion another area of interest in the drawing. In the top left hand corner of the drawing again I have used charcoal for the grey wall behind the scene to add a different texture to the picture.

The table surface I am not entirely happy with but I am not exactly sure what I don't like about, would another layer colour plus the burnishing technique help here...possibly.

Also think I should have made the cabbage dark..though I am sure the tones are true to what I was seeing at the time.

First ideas on subject matter were different to my final choice, mushrooms peppers and a banana skin. I felt the composition, not helped by the subject matter, was following the mistakes I had made in assignment one, too much of a disconnect between each object.



Shitake mushrooms study 1:





Shitake mushrooms study 2:






One of the thumb nail sketch studies for the pears and cabbage still life:




Pears and cabbage still life study 1:








Pears and cabbage still life study 2:







Pears and cabbage still life final drawing:







.

No comments:

Post a Comment