Wednesday 28 August 2013

Exercise - Tonal study (option 2)


For this exercise I wanted to use charcoal, working from a mid-tone using a putty rubber to draw in the highlights. The same approach I took when drawing the replica monkey's skull in an earlier exercise for this part of the course.

As suggested in the course notes, squinting was used to identify the the darkest areas

Initial study done using water soluble crayons, the blue background added to help define the shape of the horns and push forward the lightest area, the top of the skull.






Same position as the initial study, in this picture I have included the shadow surrounding the skull. Working in charcoal for a tonal study, for me, was the right choice though looking at the picture now as I add it to my learning log I am wishing I had made some of the highlight a little more pronounced.



No comments:

Post a Comment