Sunday 5 May 2013

Portrait Class 2

Started the  2nd  evening's portrait class with two charcoal drawings  spending no longer than 5 minutes on each.

In this one the model has her hand resting by the side of the neck, may not be clear from the limited detail I had time to capture in this part of the drawing



Profile view of the same model





In the next drawing I used my left hand  (naturally right handed), found controlling the line and the amount of pressure I was able the apply very difficult, oddly enough the direction of line that I favour ordinarily (over use when blocking in areas) diagonal line running top-right  to bottom left  I had the most trouble with e.g., forehead and nose. Despite the issue controlling the charcoal with my left hand, I decided that the use of my left hand should not be an excuse to introduce any measurement errors.




Next drawing a portrait without looking a paper.  For me this exercise  went wrong the moment I took the charcoal of the paper, lost all sense of the space I had been working in... anyway I can make out some eyes and a nose




For this drawing were allowed 3 minutes to study the model's pose before she left the room. We were then given 5 minutes to draw her portrait from memory... think my drawing has taken on more of an cartoon / illustrative quality some similarities with the model but perhaps an equal amount of how I believe the face in general is built up with these key components (outline of the face, eyes, nose and mouth) marked with a  heavy line.






Normal 15 minute pose, angles of the forehead and face beyond the tip of the nose corrected, re comments by the tutor, angles more acute than I had initially drawn them...lapsing back to how I believe the shape of the face should be rendered than actual checking and measuring what is in front of me.





Final drawing and change of model, 50 minutes to work on this, focusing on tones and working on to a mid-toned sheet of paper that we prepared before hand (rubbing back charcoal)




Had issues here with the placement with the hairline which I reworked but now gives the appearance of a cap (or wig), but feel I achieved a likeness of the model with several distinct tonal values.





No comments:

Post a Comment