Thursday 18 April 2013

Exercise - Three drawings




Figure lying down, drawn in charcoal. Paper covered in charcoal first to create a mid-tone that can then be drawn into with an eraser to bring out the highlights.



Didn't have the best position in the room, lower legs not in view, but feel the drawing conveys the rise of the left leg. Poor model lying on the floor boards, liked the fact that the direction of the boards run in the opposite direction to the legs /body so included in the final drawing.



Figure sitting down in with one leg out stretched across a second chair. Figure square onto me, once again feeling I had drawn the short straw when it came to the position from which I was viewing the model.




In this drawing unlike the 1st I didn't achieve the same degree of finish across the whole figure. Having sketched in the figure having initial marked out where I believed the key points of the figure to be (shoulders, elbows, wrists, hips, knees and ankles) I focused my attention on the face, redrawn to reflect  a three quarter view that was not quite right in my first attempt.  Both drawings took around fifty minutes to complete.


Self portrait of me standing, furniture in the room meant  I had to stand closer to the mirror  than I would have liked which has introduced some foreshortening, head at eye level but looking down my body towards my feet. Started with charcoal and then added some detail with a 2B pencil




Spent about forty minutes on the drawing and got to a point where I felt it said as much as it needed to... I need to lose a few pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment