Sunday 23 June 2013

Portrait Class 7/8

Two week posse to be painted using oils, unfortunately for me the position of the model meant I was the head in profile, I would have been happier with a three quarter view... anyway no excuses or jostling for another view I would get to work.  In my opinion there is less scope for suggesting the three dimensional form of the head with the profile view... on the plus side less detail to include (one eye rather than two).


1st session






2nd session






Glad I took photograph at the end of the 1st session otherwise I would have felt at the end of the second session that the progression was fairly minimal, I wouldn't have been satisfied that the improvements verses the amount of time spent were balanced/justified.  We were painting in natural light which added to the challenge, sometime spent reworking areas as the light changed, but feel the end painting gives clear indication of the areas in light and shadow.  Another, reason I don't like the profile view is that I felt obliged to spend more time on the painting the ear, with the three quarter view it's not in the foreground

No comments:

Post a Comment