Friday 22 March 2013

Exercise - A self portrait


Final self portrait




Revisiting, this exercise this time using a large sheet of paper (A2) using charcoal and a carbon stick.
Here I have done several quick, no longer than ten minutes, portrait studies in charcoal rubbing down the picture when I feel I want to restart/redraw using the same sheet of paper. By rubbing down the pictures I am covering the most of the surface of the paper with charcoal which I will rub into with putty eraser to define/place the highlights.

Charcoal study number 1. I notice here in the jumper I have covered it in the 45 degree linear marks  which seems to be a subconscious/lazy response to a largish areas of my drawings that I do not want to leave blank/ unmarked...overusing this mark (tutor feedback assignment 3)... need to remove when I settle on the finished picture.


Second picture, given the medium, I have rubbed back the first drawing and started to blend the marks to indicate tone.




Third drawing, happy that the the next drawing will be the one I will be the last I add dark marks using a carbon stick, not used it before but apparently it leaves a dark mark and does not smudge as easily as charcoal. Still intend to rub this one down,  this time I will rub the picture in a vertical motion may add something to the finished picture or not.  I have also start to play with the eraser getting a feel for where I believe the lighter areas should be...helping to define the underlying shape of the skull (eg. cheek bones, eye brow, forehead)





Final picture, both wife and kids confirm it looks like me... a positive id. My wife comments that I always look sad in my self portrait drawings.. having read the course notes I am able to reply "frown of concentration is frequent characteristic of self portraits"




Self portrait done using oil pastels using the above pictures for reference rather than a mirror. This drawing became more about the mark making and experimenting with the medium than focusing on the likeness.










No comments:

Post a Comment