Friday 22 March 2013

Exercise - Portrait from memory


Portrait study from memory/ imagination


I have an idea of who I want to draw but, having settled for the position of the head and done some initial sketches I soon realize that I am not getting close to a likeness  so  decide to  work my drawings towards something that reads as a portrait that could have be drawn from life.


.


Drawings have a cartoon like quality that I don't want in the final picture...



Weapon of choice the yellow pic fine biro, in this the final picture I feel the is a sense of the form of the head, I am happy with the features... tip of nose could benefit from some more shading on the underside. Possibly need to give a better/ stronger indication of the light source (can I blame my choice of medium...), light from the left.



Here I have taken the above image and worked with it in charcoal revisiting some of the features but sticking with the position of the head and mood... adjustments do not bring me closer to the person I was originally thinking of... I feel I have end-up with a Ming the Merciless...not sure what my therapist will make of this.






No comments:

Post a Comment